Monday, 19 July 2010
Do I Need a Permit for my home project?
Check with your local building safety department before beginning home-improvement projects. Requirements vary, but many building safety departments require permits for home improvement projects, including electrical, mechanical, structural or plumbing work. As a result of getting a permit, an inspector will check the work. Inspections provide a measure of safety to protect your life and property.
Projects That Usually Require Permits:
• Installing electrical outlets
• Replacing windows
• Remodeling kitchens or bathrooms
• Installing a pool, spa or hot tub
• Building an addition, including seasonal rooms
• Installing appliances and replacements such as furnaces, boilers, water heaters, fireplaces and space heaters
• Building a tall fence––over 6 feet in height
If you are planning to make home improvements, contact your local building safety department to find out what building safety code provisions apply in your area and if you need a permit.
Find more information on Building Regulations and apply for a permit on www.direct.gov.uk